This seriously feels sur-real. I can hardly believe that I am finally done with college! I started my college journey the semester following my high school graduation. I remember being nervous, excited & just ready for the fun adventure! It’s crazy to think about all the hours I’ve spent in classes, studying, and taking tests. But these are just a small part of what college was about. The majority of the lessons I learned extended way beyond the four walls of the classrooms I sat in. Here are just a few of the things I learned along the way.
- It’s not about the classes. College is about changing your perspective. When I started, I was unsure about the future & had no idea what I wanted to do for a career. So, I explored a little bit. I took classes like poetry, nutrition, child development, and interior design. It was in these classes I learned that the world is a really big place. I learned that diversity is what makes us beautiful, that there are always open doors with opportunities, and that studying isn’t about cramming its about understanding. I could list a million lessons I’ve learned that had nothing to do with the classes I was taking and everything to do with the life I was living.
- There is always time. Even though teachers boggle students down with projects and homework, there is still always time. I am never too busy to help a friend, give my mom a hug, or spend time with my family. Learning to have a balance in life is hard. The to-do list never seems to end, but I have found when I take time for my personal life, I thrive in my professional life as well. Rest is just as important as work.
- Just keep going. Seriously, college isn’t easy. Sometimes I just had to get to work and push through. There were nights that homework felt like the least important thing I needed to be doing. I just had to remind myself of my end goal. When I kept that in mind, I was able to keep going even when it felt like it wasn’t worth it.
- Honesty is the best policy. I have never regretted being honest. Nothing can replace the satisfaction of knowing I worked for what I got. I always felt so accomplished when I was finished. Now, the outcome wasn’t always what I expected it to be, but if I knew if I did my best, there was nothing to be ashamed of. Compromising my integrity for a grade or money just wasn’t, and ins’t, worth it.
- It’s okay to ask for help. Really though, it’s ok! Sometimes I feel like social pressures tell us that we have to be Super Woman or Super Man and do everything quick and alone but that’s just plain silly. There are people who have been where we are and who can give advice and help. We just have to be brave enough to ask.
- God is real. There is no way I could’ve made it through college without God. If I am being honest, there were times I just didn’t feel like finishing. God kept giving me those little nudges of encouragement to keep me going. I am so grateful that I listened and kept going. I am so grateful I know that God will never give up on me.
Grad pictures taken by the lovely Shelby Lea Photography.
I'm Sarah, an Arizona girl living my dream as a wife, mama & photographer. My specialities are newborns and family portraits.
get on my calendar
join the email list